Now when we have covered the uses of open source intelligence, it is time to learn some of the techniques for gathering and processing open source information. Besides, it will be useful to view the Cyber Security Checklist - Your Basic Steps to Take to help you keep abreast of getting protected in time and prevent unwanted outcomes. So, you can learn the modern open source intelligence techniques below:
1. First of all, you should have a clear framework and strategy for getting and using open source intelligence. You can find many interesting and useful information on open source intelligence for you. However, a massive volume of available information can overwhelm you.
Additionally, it would help if you focused on the goals you are trying to achieve. If you strive to identify and resolve your work's weaknesses, you should concentrate your mind on accomplishing these goals.
2. Secondly, manual processes will not be so effective because of the large volume of information. So, you should identify appropriate tools for collecting, processing, and next using open source information.
It is also essential to admit that there is a significant quantity of free and premium tools for finding and analyzing open source information. Some of them are:
- Metadata search;
- Code search;
- Phone number research;
- Email search and verification;
- Linking social media accounts;
- People and identity investigation;
- Image analysis;
- Geospatial research and mapping.
Have you ever thought how much data your profiles in social media reveal, taking into account all your connections? For example, file metadata reveals interesting information about the tools used for creating a file and even specifics about an author. Another good example is image metadata, which contains the location where the photo was taken and the whereabouts of the person who posted it. As you see, all tools from the list above can be used for successful collection and analyzing information about open sources. Additionally, you can contact us to get a free consultation of OSINT services, and we will gather intelligence on a person or business online to help you avoid risk and make better decisions.